Thursday, September 30, 2010

Baja Fresh vs. Chipotle



Wow! Chipotle, you almost got me! I got a recommendation on twitter from Chipotle to try the steak burrito with rice, beans, hot salsa, corn salsa and cheese, and I have to admit I really enjoyed it. They don't mess around over there...

I've been hearing a lot of talk about Chipotle lately, but between the assembly line approach to the food prep and the old ties to McDonald's, I haven't been able to take them that seriously. Today though, I gained some respect for this establishment.

Simply put, the burrito was great! It had the flavor it needed and it was nicely balanced. I actually went for a carnitas taco too, and I was impressed. On top of that, I tasted the guac my friend ordered, and it was outstanding. So Chipotle, props to you for making good food. It's true what people say - you're better than La Salsa, Qdoba and Sharky's.

Still though, I'm not sure Chipotle is quite on the Baja level. I went there for dinner and had the Nacho Burrito with steak. The big difference was the steak that came right off the grill. It hadn't been chopped up before I entered the restaurant and it wasn't sitting behind a glass wall waiting to be scooped up. Also, it's tough to match the Queso Fundido. The salsa at Baja are amazing too, and at Chipotle there's not even a salsa bar. Oh, and let's not forget about the fact that you have to buy your chips at Chipotle. Seriously, you guys are better than that...

But one thing's for sure: I'll be coming back for more. Chipotle deserves the love their getting, and now they're even getting some from me.

One more comparison left - the final one is Rubio's!

BB2

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey Baja Boys,

This is the Baja Fresh Marketing Department. We were wondering if you guys had some contact information. We love your blog and would love to talk with you. If you'd like, please send us an e-mail @ kdurkan@bajafresh.com. Thanks!

Kyle
Baja Fresh Marketing