Thursday, September 30, 2010

Baja Fresh vs. Sharky's



Another day, another comparison. Today the Fajita Burrito at Sharky's was up against the Ultimo Burrito at Baja Fresh. Many people are unfamiliar with Sharky's because they only have 21 locations and almost all of them are in SoCal, but they're quite popular in the LA area...

As a true Baja boy, I'm not sure I can ever fully embrace a Baja competitor, but I must say I appreciate the freshness of Sharky's. Quality ingredients always make for a good starting point. But where's the flavor? Had it not been for the salsa I kept throwing on my Fajita Burrito, this would have been an outrageously bland experience. On top of that, I really walked away feeling like the folks at Sharky's are a bit stingy with the meat. The rice-to-meat ratio definitely wasn't right.

Also, who thought squash would be good in a burrito? I realize I'm getting some veggies when I order something with "fajita" in the name, but shouldn't peppers and onions be enough?

Coming "home" to Baja for dinner in the evening saved the day once again. The Ultimo Burrito - which I typically order with carnitas and quac instead of sour cream - was simply delicious. It may have been a bit heavier than the flavorless squash-rice thing I had earlier in the day, but the buzz certainly made it up for it. Another one bites the dust...

Next up is Chipotle!

BB2

No comments: